Sometime, I’d like to take certain days (maybe Saturdays) to babble about the systems and story bits of Mydhilde, but so much is still in the works, that’ll have to wait.
But I can babble about a few things in general;
If you’re curious about what to expect Mydhilde to be like when it’s complete, I’d say that in comparison, it’s kinda like a nice mixture of some aspects from Minecraft, Terraria, Ys, and Classic Zelda.
- There’s going to be subtle hints of RPG mechanics, but I’m still fleshing those out.
- The game should also encourage players to explore, but there’ll also be a steep leveling curve, making it extremely dangerous to go too far, or even stay up too late. Suffice to say, the barriers between areas will be less of; guards telling you “no” or bridges being coincidentally broken, and more of simply; monsters ready to rip you inside out if you’re not prepared enough (similar to Terraria).
- There’s a lot of Celtic influence in the concepts, along with my usual appeal for Medieval stuff. The concepts might also get a little dark, creepy, and a bit hardcore — especially when it comes to the kind of creatures that roam the night.
- Already, I mentioned there’s a crafting system. This crafting system will also involve a lot of tools and appliances along with handcrafting, likeWhetstones for sharpening; a Kilnstation for cooking food or smelting metals, depending on how hot your Kilnstation is burning; a Weaving Wheel for handling threads and fabric; a Cookingpot for stewing and brewing; and more…?
- There’s going to be a ton of different outfits and armor, ranging between full armor, magic cloaks, archer gear, special ability-granting equipment, and stuff that just looks cool. I’m working on balancing out the gear so that most gear is interchangeable and there’s no “this gear is better than the rest”; encouraging the player to usually switch around equipment to best suit their situation or preferred fighting style.
- Also, I’ve planned a few different weapon and tool types. For weapons, you have a choice between Swords, Cudgels, Bows and Arrows, and Wands. Tools, you’ll find things such as Spellbooks, Picks, Axes, Bombs, Fishing Rods/Hooks, and Torches.
That’s about it for now. The stuff I’ve mentioned here is, for the most part, confirmed. There might even be more stuff I add to these systems.